Once a writer starts a thread, you can participate by tapping on the Chat icon on the Substack app or on the web. Substacks you subscribe to will appear showing the most recent threads.
Tap on a thread to start interacting with the writer and other readers. You can reply to any thread with text and/or an image as well as react to other readers' replies.
You can also tap on another reader's message to react or to leave a reply.
How am I notified about Chat?
You can select which Chat push notifications to receive on the Substack app.
- New threads: When a writer you're subscribed to starts a new Chat thread.
- Replies: When other readers leave a reply in a Chat thread.
- Reactions: When readers emoji-react to your reply.
To turn on or turn off Chat notifications, follow these steps:
1. Tap your profile picture and select Settings. In the Settings menu, tap Notifications.
2. On your Notifications, make sure that the toggles are on the left for each item listed in the Chat section. You will not receive any push notifications about Chat.
Who can see my replies?
Any subscriber of the publication will be able to see your reply in a Thread. If they react to your message, you'll see a notification in your Activity section (click on the bell in the top right corner of the Substack app).
Tip: Don't see a thread? Check to see if you're on the latest version of the Substack app and check your profile picture to see if the publication is listed in your subscription library.
Can I start a thread?
If the writer has enabled reader participation for their publication's Chat, you'll be able to start a conversation with other subscribers.
Click on "Start a New Thread". If you don't see this button on the web or on the Substack app, it's possible the writer has disabled the reader participation feature.