To participate in a Chat, you will need to:
- Be subscribed to a Substack.
- Have the Substack Reader iOS installed.
Once a writer starts a thread, you can participate by tapping on the Chat icon on the Substack app. Substacks you subscribe to will appear showing the most recent threads.
Tap on a thread to start interacting with the writer and other readers. You can reply to any thread with text and/or an image as well as react to other readers' replies.
You can also tap on another reader's message to react or to leave a reply.
How am I notified about Chat?
You can select which Chat push notifications to receive. To turn off or turn on Chat notifications, follow these steps:
1. On the Substack iOS app, tap the Profile icon and then the Settings icon in the top-right corner.
2. Tap "Notifications" and on this screen, toggle on or off what push notifications you'd like to start or stop receiving.
- New threads: When a writer you're subscribed to starts a new Chat thread.
- Replies: When other readers leave a reply in a Chat thread.
- Reactions: When readers emoji-react to your reply.
Who can see my replies?
Any subscriber of the publication will be able to see your reply in a Thread. If they react to your message, you'll see a notification in your Activity section (click on the bell in the top right corner of the app).
Tip: Don't see a thread? Check to see if you're on the latest version of the Substack iOS app and check your Library to see if the publication is listed under your Subscriptions.