Ready to take the next step and turn on paid posts on your publication? This guide covers exactly the steps you need to take with Stripe– from linking your receiving bank account to managing payouts.
In this guide
It takes just minutes to set up your Stripe account. Before you get started, Stripe will ask for information about your business and customer support details.
Customer support details such as a phone number and address may appear on subscriber invoices and their card statements.
1. Sign into your Substack account and navigate to your publication's Settings page.
2. Select Payments in the left navigation bar and once in your Payments section, click on the button that says "Connect with Stripe".
3. Enter the requested information such as a registered business address and personal details.
Note: If you don't have a business address, you can use a home address.
Depending on the country you reside in, Stripe will tailor what required details they need in order to verify your identity and meet requirements from regulators.
4. Link your bank account using your online banking credentials or manually add your routing and account number for payments (Stripe refers to these as payouts).
5. Provide customer support details that help subscribers recognize the charges on their credit card statement.
Tip: A statement descriptor explain charges or payments on bank statements. Make it easy for a subscriber to recognize!
6. Once you submit your information, you'll be directed back to your Settings page on Substack where you can set up your subscription plans.
All payouts for paid subscriptions can be viewed on your Stripe account.
How to access Stripe
You can access your Stripe account anytime by selecting the Connected account link under
"Subscription plans" on your Settings page.
How to view payouts
Once you're on Stripe, navigate to the left dashboard and select Payouts.
Here, you'll be able to see all the payments sent from Stripe to your bank account.
Tip: To view a detailed ledger of payment details such as fees as well as the ETA for the payout, click on the individual payout.
Are there any fees?
If you add paid subscriptions, we charge 10% and there is a credit card fee charged by Stripe.
How long do payouts take?
Payments usually arrive in your bank account within 48 hours of each transaction; you can read more information from our payment processor here.
The first payout for every new Stripe account takes 7-14 days to deposit in your bank account.
Will I be notified once a payout is on its way?
Yes! You can set your payouts to be sent on a daily or weekly basis. Once a payout is on its way, Stripe will notify you via email of the amount and the estimated deposit date to your bank account.
What can I do if Stripe isn't supported in the country I reside in?
Stripe is our sole payments provider and we rely on many of their features to make Substack work and their entire feature-set may not be available in every country.
As a workaround you may consider using Stripe Atlas which helps you set up a company and bank account in the US and is designed to work with Stripe.
Can I hide my support phone number and address?
If you'd like to keep your support phone number and address private, navigate to Account Details in your Stripe Settings.
Toggle these two sections from "On" to "Off":
Who do I contact if I need help with payouts?
Have a question about your Stripe account? Click on "Contact Support" here where you'll be able to chat, call, or email Stripe Support.