Here's our tips on how to use the Substack editor to add media to your posts.
How to add images
Drag and drop them into your draft post, or upload an image by clicking on the Image icon:
Tip: Image files that are supported are avif, gif, jpg, jpeg, png, webp. Undecided on what image to use on your post? Click "Search" and you'll be able search and insert free photos from Unsplash directly from the Substack editor.
How to add a GIF
Drag and drop them into your draft post, or upload a new file by clicking on the icon above, just as you would any other image.
How to embed a video
Click on the video icon in the editor toolbar and upload a video file or record directly from your device. Follow these steps here on how to embed videos hosted on Substack into your post.
How to embed rich media
Copy-and-paste the URL directly into the draft post and the embeds will automatically appear.
- Embedding TikToks: videos will play within a web post on Chrome and in the Substack app. On Safari, videos will open in a new tab. Email posts contain a static image that link to the TikTok.
- Embedding Spotify: songs or podcasts will play within a web post and on the Substack app. Email posts contain a static image that will open the song or podcast episode on the Spotify app.
- Embedding Youtube: videos will play within a web post and in the Substack app. Email posts contain a static image that link to Youtube video (readers can choose whether to open the video on the Youtube app or youtube.com on their browser).
How to add a banner image
Above your post title, select, "Edit email header and footer". You can upload a banner image in this section:
How to add an NFT
Currently, OpenSea is the only supported platform and links to NFTS will display as rich embeds in a Substack post.
Here are two ways to embed an NFT:
- Copy and paste an OpenSea link directly into your post and it'll automatically convert it to an embed. An image of the the NFT will appear as well as other details such as the name, creator, and a button to view the NFT directly on OpenSea.
- Hyperlink the NFT in your post by clicking on the "Link" icon and adding custom text and the OpenSea URL.
Looking for more tips on how to make your posts stand out? Check out our Editor guide.