If your publication’s email list has a high rate of inactive or undeliverable email addresses, we may ask you to remove those emails in order to protect Substack’s sending reputation.
Substack will never ask you to remove paying subscribers or those who have signed up to your publication manually using our subscription flow. Instead, we look at readers who were imported to your publication but have yet to read or engage with any of your content over a number of post deliveries.
In order to make this process easy and customizable , we’ve added some tools to your subscribers dashboard.
To ‘prune’ inactive readers:
- Go to your Subscribers dashboard
- Select ‘Prune inactive subscribers’
- Follow the prompts to export your list if desired
- Select ‘Email’ to send a targeted message to inactive subscribers
- Readers who click the link in the re-engagement email will remain on your list
Note: You may alter the filter to remove fewer subscribers than our default recommendation but this may increase the likelihood having to repeat this process in the future.