Currently in beta for publications with payments enabled, new subscribers can pay for their subscription using alternative methods such as direct debit or paying directly via a bank's payment portal. These European payment methods include:
- SEPA direct
Some publications may need to take extra steps on their Stripe account to start accepting these payments. If Stripe requires extra verification for your account, please follow these steps:
1. Head to your Stripe account: https://dashboard.stripe.com/settings/payments
2. Click on the "Eligible" tab.
3. Click the "Request access"button on all the payment methods listed in this section.
4. Complete the necessary identity verification steps that Stripe requests from you. From Stripe's website, methods of identity verification may include:
- Verify the authenticity of your ID document: Stripe will typically review images of your government-issued photo ID to ensure that the document is authentic.
- Match your ID with photos of your face: Stripe will review photos of your face that you provide to them to confirm that the photo ID belongs to you.
5. Once Stripe has finished the additional verification, you'll be able to start receiving direct debit and non-credit card payments on your Substack publication.